Injustice Watch presents #SpreadTheWord: Views From A Crisis
Thanks to a generous grant from the Poetry Foundation, Injustice Watch is excited to host #SpreadtheWord, a series of arts events that are intended to amplify our reporting and reinforce our commitment to building community.
Our next event will take place on Monday, June 8 at 5:30 p.m. The theme is ‘Views From A Crisis’. In light of the COVID-19 outbreak, Injustice Watch will host the event via Zoom video conferencing for the participants and broadcast it via Facebook Live.
Call for submissions
We are currently seeking five artists to write and perform three-minute pieces based on our coverage of the COVID-19 pandemic and the criminal justice system. We encourage creative submissions. All forms of spoken-word art will be considered. Each selected artist will be compensated $200 for their work.
Fill out the form here to apply.
The deadline for submissions is Wednesday, May 20 at 11:59pm.
Please contact our audience engagement manager, Charles Preston, at [email protected], with any questions.
Wednesday, May 20: Deadline for submissions
Friday, May 22: Selected artists are notified
Monday, May 25: Artists are announced
Friday, May 29: Artists must notify Injustice Watch of the article they have selected
Wednesday, June 3: Artists submit work for review by Injustice Watch staff
Monday, June 8: Performance at 5:30 p.m.
Rules & Regulations:
- Your #SpreadTheWord piece must relate to an Injustice Watch article about the COVID-19 pandemic. You must identify the article that inspired your work at the beginning of your performance.
- Your piece must not exceed 3 minutes.
- No racist, sexist, misogynistic, homophobic, transphobic, and anti-religious language is allowed. No profanity. No political campaign endorsements.
- To ensure that every artist is given consideration and respect, we expect all participants to commit to the full duration of the event and to mute their microphones when other artists are performing.
- Artists must meet all deadlines to receive payment.